Thursday, September 18, 2008

 

My ex-teacher ... it has been 29 yrs!!!!

I met my former teacher today. He taught me when I was 10 years old. Can't believe it myself. He is now a lecturer in UKM. Mr Yuen is now Dr Yuen. Back when I was 10, he was a trainee teacher just finishing up at Maktab Perguruan and was waiting for his posting. He did his practical in my school and taught my class for about 3 months. He had a great impact on my young mind then, maybe because he really cared. At that time my class had a tigress for a class teacher. So Mr Yuen was a sight for sore eyes. On top of that, he was a young man of probably 21, pretty good looking and YES, half the class (the girls!!!) had a massive crush on him. Yes, 10 yr olds having crush on a 21 yr old man. Not quite unlike some 15-16 yr olds having a crush on a certain Mr G now!!!!!
Back to my story, today I went for a briefing about a project in TTDI with 2 other colleagues. As we were passed the guestbook to sign, I saw his name. I thought to myself, hmmm how many Yuen CKs are there in Msia? So I took notice of him, and realised that, though he had aged (from a 21 yr old to .... 50 yr old (??), he still had the same expressions. And I saw a passion in him. A PASSION FOR TEACHING!!!! What were you thinking???? So I approached him when the briefing was over. And yes, it is him. And though he did not recognise me, he remembered me. He remembered part of my name. And he was so tickled that someone he used to teach so many years ago, still remembered him. I was and still am amazed that our paths have crossed. Funnily enough, he asked me if I wanted to do my Masters. Is that a nudge in the direction I have been so afraid to go? I don't know. Maybe.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]